Last week I was out shopping at a local outdoor venue and ran into two moms from school. Of course we exchanged the "How is your summer?" pleasantries. I replied, "Very nice, thank you and how is yours...".
What I wanted to say is "My summer is blissed out AWESOME!" and I don't really want to go back to my grown up life come August, thank you.
Some summer highlights so far:
- Our oldest promoted out of 8th grade and will begin high school (yikes) in August.
- She has discovered veganism and cooking amazing meals for our entire family.
- Lots of trips to farmers markets and speciality stores for veggies and fun stuff.
- We have been hiking the local hills several times a week as a family. The kids love it and it is SO beautiful in the hills just before sunset!
- We have also been biking as a family and discovering new bike routes. Good times.
- We have been exploring outdoor shopping and music venues (P played her first concert last weekend!)
- Our neighborhood had our traditional 4th of July block party last week and it was so wonderful to see everyone again. Crazy how I can live so close to so many awesome people but work and life keeps us too busy to sit down and connect.
- I have actually taken a daytime nap!
- J and I have been planning for Comic Con San Diego--coming up this week!
I am so completely grateful for this time off to really slow down and be with my family. It has been a crazy ride for the past two years. I work with some of the most dedicated and talented people around. We all work like fools and the rewards have been great. However, so are the sacrifices. Time is our most precious resource and while I can't say I have been wasting it, I clearly have not been spending enough of it with the people who matter most in my life.
I don't think I know anyone who has a perfect balance. I you do, and you are reading this, please drop me a line and let me know how you made that happen. I'm not going to worry too much about how the balance will work out come August. For now, I'm going to just Carpe Diem and go enjoy my kids.